Thursday, March 6, 2008

I HAVE BEEN TO RUGARI!!!



I have been to Rugari and it is beautiful. The air is fresh, the mountains are gorgeous, and life is a bit simpler. And boy oh boy will my Swahili improve when I am there for longer periods of time. There is so much to do there that I am back here in Goma feeling a bit guilty.






Here is a picture of some of the children who gathered around to see the mgeni (visitor) in their midst. Of course they were more than willing to say "hello" to everyone back home. They raise their hands to wave and send greetings to all of you back at St. Anne and St. John and beyond. Of course their smiles and the joy in their faces say so much more.




Here is a picture of me with my dear friend Edward Ntamabyaliro. He is the director of the school at the village of Nkokwe. Unfortunately they have become refugees because of the war and are now living and working in a nearby village of Gisiza. To live as a refugee is a difficult life as you see by the photo of the refugee camp at Kibumba below. The huts are just big enough to lie down in. And then of course you need to find food, water, and toilets somehow. This is where the aid agencies have made important contributions. We pray for peace so that all can return to their villages, farms, and schools. Then people can seek to make their way and to make progress for themselves and their country.



Here is a picture of the new Health Center that is waiting for equipment and supplies to be opened.




How about this for a full church...so full of bright colors and beautiful voices and such a warm welcome they gave me. It was fantastic.





They will be so happy to receive anyone who wants to come and visit. So how many of you are coming to visit this summer. Please begin your shots now, it will take three months to get your Hepatitis B started before you travel. But don't worry it's a piece of cake.




...speaking of cake. I baked some Banana Bread last week one evening and it was the hit for everyone...they loved it!!! It was a bit of an experiment as I had to use the recipe from my poor brain, but it did turn out OK. Can't wait to do some other things as this another evening. Sure does help to have some fun things to do in the evenings. For now I continue to walk daily and that is good for my mind and my body. I could get fat here if I am not careful.


Always yours,


Jackie









2 comments:

sharon said...

Hi Jackie,
We are so relieved to know that you arrived safely and are enjoying your job in Goma. The maps and pictures are a wonderful help to visualize your new life. We are fine. We hope to move in April. Howard's cancer check was clear. We wish you a wonderful, blessed Easter! Sharon

David and Anna said...

I realize I'm a bit late on commenting, but am just discovering your blog. I just had to say that I've baked banana bread here in Chile too and they always love it! Sometimes, it's hard to identify "American" foods, since we're so eclectic. But, maybe banana bread is one?