Monday, May 5, 2008

Medicines for Kibumba Refugee Camp


2008-05-05
Hello dear friends at St. John and St. Anne churches and the world beyond. Sometimes I wonder if there is another person in the world who is reading this blog. If you are out there please write a comment. I would love to hear from you.

I will be gone for days at a time now out to the village of Rugari and this first photo is my view out the front door every morning...oh the pain of it...HA!!! It is such beautiful scenery and of course that feeds my soul tremendously. I thank God that I was given the appreciation of nature, it is just so grand.


Because I am out to Rugari, what this means in terms of communication is that I will be away from phone and internet for days at a time. My first message for you is this, don’t be alarmed when you try to find me and don’t succeed. Just remember no news, is good news. And also I must add a second item, THANK YOU for your email messages and comments to the blog, you cannot know how wonderful it is to read your news and comment. It helps me more than you will ever know.

Now onto the story of the day, last Tuesday I was privileged to deliver some of the medicines we purchased for Kibumba refugee camp (the second photo) and tomorrow I will deliver the rest of them. YAHOO and PRAISE GOD FROM WHOM ALL BLESSINGS FLOW!!! The doctors and nurses who work there were so grateful and send their gratitude and thanks many times over. I listened to a speech of thanksgiving for at least 8 minutes. I promised I would say thanks but that I would not be able to remember all their words.




The following photo is of a portion of the items we logged in to the pharmacy of the dispensary. The two men in the picture are the two doctors who work at the dispensary. Between them they are able to give 24 hour coverage 7 days a week. How would you like to try that schedule for months at a time?
This next phot is to the two docs when we finished counting, sorry it's nots a great quality but you must see them just a bit.
The next is a photo of the nurse who helped me count the medicines we delivered, then he was kind enough to teach me the ropes in the consult room. I have to say he does a very good job and I look forward to working with him again this week. They were short of nurses that day and so they welcomed my help. This was good training for me in learning the medicines and diagnosis they are using. Of course you know I love hands on work the best. Also while I was there a baby was born and so I got to observe their procedures in assisting childbirth as well. My education continues every day and I am so grateful for all.

Every day my Swahili is getting a bit better and today I even met with Bishop Ngabu by myself and was able to understand most of what he had to say.


I close with a photo of some of the flowers present in the village of Rugari, another boost to my appreciation of nature. My time is short and I have more to do today, like go to the pharmacy and make arrangements for tomorrow. I hope to write a BETTER story for next week. I really do love a good story.


Love to you all from Goma, DRC.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for keeping us up to date with such wonderful writings and photos, Jackie. It is so important that we try to understand what things are like in Goma and Rugari. Our thoughts and prayers are with you as you do this great work! When we hear news reports of the terrible things that continue to happen in that area, knowing that you are there gives us hope! Please give my best to Rosette et famille: we think of her often!

God bless,

Patrice Griffin, St Anne's

Anonymous said...

Madame Jachie

Je suis le Professeur congolais Robert Wazi Nandefo. Je suis venu à Goma tout le mois d'Avril pour enseigner à l'Université de Goma, la géologie. J'étais votre voisin de chambre à l'êveché à Goma ( chambre n°3).J'ai lu avec beaucoup d'intérêt votre blog. Merci beaucoup de ce vous réalisé pour le Nord Kivu et le Congo. Continuer à nous donner des nouvelles. Je suis de retour chez-moi en France; je suis un peu débordé par mes enseignements.
Merci beaucoup. à bientôt.

Robert Wazi Nandefo
émail. robert_wazi@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

Oh, Jackie. Wish I could give you a big hug. I'm so happy that nature is giving you a feast for your eyes to replace some of what was lost in the fire. You were not lost and neither was anyone else so.....as you do so well, you move on.

Know my thoughts and prayers are with you. Thank you for keeping us in touch with the situation there in Goma and Rugari.

God bless.
Marilyn

Bas Beukema said...

Dear Jackie, I think you are a real blessing to this world and all its souls. I believe the world is too far away from the people of the Congo and you bring it a little closer. I hope you stay save and be well.

Greetings Bas Beukema
IMC in Santa Monica, USA

Anonymous said...

Dear Jackie, I think you are a real blessing to this world and all its souls. I believe the world is too far away from the people of the Congo and you bring it a little closer. I hope you stay save and be well.

Greetings Bas Beukema
IMC in Santa Monica, USA

Bas Beukema said...

Dear Jackie, I think you are a real blessing to this world and all its souls. I believe the world is too far away from the people of the Congo and you bring it a little closer. I hope you stay save and be well.

Greetings Bas Beukema
IMC in Santa Monica, USA