Thursday, December 18, 2008

WEDDINGS AT KIBUMBA VILLAGE

To tell you this story we have to go back in time one ago to November 15th. It was a planned trip to Kibumba Village for Saturday for the blessings of two couples who wished to married in the church. Then Abbe John Fidel had made arrangements with MONUC that we hoped to be able to arrive at the parish house and spend saturday night to be there early in the morning for Mass at Rugari. Then to my delight Abbe John Fidel informed me that Bishop Ngabu had asked him to return to the parish to live once again. He asked me if I was ready to do the same and I said I would. We are currently rebuilding life again at Rugari.

The above shows me with some of the children present at the church when we arrived. And you know how I love to greet children and of course you know how much children love having their photos taken. I couldn't miss this opportunity.









These lovely girls had dressed in the prettiest white with veils and pearls and pretty white hats to complement the brides who would be married this day. They were bashful but joyful in getting their pictures taken.








The youth sang and were part of the music for the day and they added so much to our celebration of the two marriages that day. They were a small but mighty force of great music that day.





I was impressed with the brides assistant who did not leave her side throughout the whole ceremony. Her hands on her shoulders as this bride spoke her wedding vows. This meaningful gesture was also imparted on each person in their turn as those who stood up with them supported them by laying hands on them.
















































For me it was interesting to note all the similarities that are part of the service that can so feed my soul, but also to celebrate the richness and meaning of other parts of the service I have never experienced before...









It was truly beautiful and it reminded me of the wonderfulness of being here in this time and this place...for times like this and so much more.







After Mass on Sunday at Rugari I got in the car and headed up the road to Rubare to visit with Bahati's family...it had been two months of intense fighting, running, living as internally displaced, and we all had lived stories we wish had never happened. I just had to visit and see how they were doing now that we were all returning to our homes.





On the way I saw one of the rare tourism sites I have had since my arrival way back in February.



This troupe of baboons was traveling down the road and didn't move too fast as we stopped in the road to see this fun sight.






This was as close as we got before they all disappeared into the forest. Notice the little baby hanging on underneath this mother baboon as she headed into the bush and was gone from view in seconds.






When I arrived at the home of Bahati's parents I inspected the bullet holes in the roof. Fortunately most is on one side of the house. The walls in front have only 4 spots where you can see bullets hit and fortunately the house is so solidly built that they just managed to nick out the cement by less than 1/2 inch. The tougher part is replacing the tin sheeting so the rain can be kept OUTSIDE WHERE IT IS NEEDED, instead of inside on the beds.



Family portraits are always so wonderful...but after living through war times together, there is poignancy close to unexplainable. We are so grateful for our lives and we are so saddended by those whose lives are lost.



1 comment:

Max said...

This is a great running story of the trip and the wedding. Nice job and a little lesson for Americans on life in Congo. Thank you.
I think the laying on of hands is a powerful gesture expressing God's healing power and presence among us. An old friend who was my pastor in Fargo used to say, "big symbols are big prayers," and Fr. Dale was right.
Love,
Wardo